Monday, January 10, 2011

American Comforts and Conveniences 
According to Gary Althen, author of the book American Ways, Americans like their comforts and conveniences.

Here is a list of some of the things Americans like that make life a little easier or more comfortable:

1. Baby changing tables in several restaurants, bookstores, and other public businesses.

2. Drive- through bins at libraries, where you go to drop off library books (also drive-throughs at pharmacies, banks, and post offices).

3. Sofas, chairs, beds, cushions, and towels that are very big and very soft.

4. Microwave cooking directions included on most types of food packages.

5. Water filters on kitchen faucets and water softeners on shower heads.


A few days ago, I was reading an article about how national culture determines how much comfort or convenience one desires. The example was the lack of centralized heating in most houses in Mexico. The reason was that when most Mexicans have to choose what to spend their money on, they would choose to spend it on making the house look nice, for example by installing hardwood flooring. And they would choose to save money on something like heating by wearing heavy clothes inside their houses when it's cold.

Let me just say that, in my opinion, most Americans are just not that way. We like to be comfortable. That's why we have carpet :)

Recently, I have been thinking about comfort and convenience. Here's my dilemma: I have two small children who drop a lot of drinks and food on the floor, so I am looking to buy a light vacuum for my floors. I have been looking at two types: a small hand vacuum and a long stick vacuum. The issue for me is low price vs. convenience because the small hand vacuum (which is less convenient) costs around $30.00 whereas the stick vacuum (which is more convenient) costs $99. If I use the hand vac, I will constantly need to bend down to the floor. Sometimes I'm carrying my baby and so it's not easy to bend down, so it's not convenient. On the other hand, with the stick vac I won't have to bend down. I can walk around even while holding my baby. It seems very convenient. So, in my mind I have been debating with myself, trying to decide which one to choose.

So, do you know what I decided?

Well, I want to have convenience (I'm American, right!), so I want the stick vacuum. However, I don't want to pay the expensive price. I also want the most comfort. I want to stand and clean, not bend down and clean.

So, what's my answer?

I'm going to shop around until I find a stick vacuum on sale (or clearance, even better!). 

Thanks for reading! I would appreciate any comments you have----Maria

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! awesome-I love your insight on the details. People ask me sometimes why I don't move to Italy?--for just the detais you mentioned here-sometimes you just need to accept what is-what you grow up with is what you just learn to accept and expect. thanks

Anonymous said...

You are right on! The only thing is that sometimes when we take the inconvenience out of life we miss opportunities to rely on each other more and build really close friendships.

Maria said...

So, does that mean a really close friend is going to vacuum my floor? That would be nice! No, seriously, I agree that what society needs is more human connection, especially nowadays. How do you achieve that in American society?

Anonymous said...

There is a cordless stick vac at costco on sale for $69. It also turns into a hand vac. I bought one 3 months ago.....love it. I even gave one to a friend.

Maria said...

Thanks for the tip!

Maria said...

Can you tell me which Costco you got it at?

Ornov Chowdhury Bappi said...

Hello dear friend its so good and informative site. I love your insight on the details. People ask me sometimes why I don't move to Italy?--for just the detais you mentioned here-sometimes you just need to accept what is-what you grow up with is what you just learn to accept and expectBusiness Communication thanks